Goler Community Development Corp., with the cooperation of Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC), commissioned Urban Design Associates of Pittsburgh to create a plan to revitalize the neighborhood.
The process took six months. Community leaders, business owners and church members were involved along with urban designers, market analysts and transportation engineers.
One-on-one meetings and focus groups helped to identify the strengths and weaknesses of the community and to form a collective vision of its future: a mixed-use neighborhood with new housing, new streets and new opportunities.
Guiding Principles• Build on the community’s history and heritage.
• Have a variety of mixed-use buildings.
• Create a neighborhood linking downtown, the Piedmont Triad Research Park and East Winston.
• Transform the area into a vital part of downtown Winston-Salem.
• Create a mix of housing, small busines, retail, entertainment and community uses.
• Build a network of parks and streetscapes.